Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Valentine's Day: Past and Present

Before we wrap up the month of love, I wanted to post about one of our favorite "holidays." It's extra special to Matt and I because it happened to be our very first date 6 years ago. We'd been hanging out, going to Bible study and church together and we'd even met each other's families but Valentine's a whole 6 months later was when Matt decided to take me on our first "official" night out.

That night was literally one I'll never forget. He went to great lengths to see that this evening would be special in every way. A completely new outfit for him...right down to his shoes, renting a car!!! (nothing fancy but something nicer than his 'ol Toyota Corolla, a silver Lancer), making a cd of some special songs for our hour long drive and researching the places we'd eat...Cavi Cucina (a great little hole in the wall Italian place) and Cafe Fiore out in Ventura. Even the rain that started to pour couldn't dampen our spirits. 





Since then it's just kind of understood between the two of us that we do a little more than just a card or chocolates. That doesn't mean it's necessarily lavish (especially these last 2 years with having kids) but we try to go the extra mile.

First Valentine's Day Married (2007):

We were only married less than 2 months when this special day arrived. Being that we had little to no extra money AND our church's Resolved conference was held in February back then, we used our money to help pay for a weekend away. Here's the one picture I have from it...our precious friends, the Berggrens were there with us too!



Valentine's Day 2008:

Matt led me {blindfolded} to the car. What I didn't know was that Tad and Monika were in the backseat of our car not making a sound...hence the blindfold. We were on our way to Black Angus and a double date was my surprise. Matt also had surprised me with beautiful, pink pearl earrings before we left for dinner.





Valentine's Day 2009:

Another extra special Valentine's day!! This evening wasn't a surprise...experiencing Maggiano's Italian Restaurant for the first time BUT the way we got there was. Matt knows I've always had a fascination with Mini Coopers. I think they're the cutest little car and though so unpractical for our stage in life, it would be a dream to own. So...he rented a convertible Mini Cooper and we had a blast driving it to downtown LA. 

Our dearest friends and siblings were the best company that night and the food was so so amazing! I could have licked my plate. I don't really remember what we ate but here's some pictures.






Maggiano's happens to be right next to The Grove (a really fancy shmancy outdoor shopping place) and he let me stop in at Anthropology and pick up these beautiful earrings. I still love wearing them today!


I also decided to surprise him by baking this gigantic cookie, decorating it and delivering it to him at school! He loved it and so did his students.



The dream car!



Valentine's Day 2010 (last one without kids and VERY pregnant with Reese):

I wish we'd gotten a picture of all the couples because this was the Valentine's where Courtney and Jeremiah, Tad and Monika and Matt and I all experienced Ruth's Chris together. Oh.My.Goodness! Every single bite was a party in my mouth. Probably some of the best food I've had in my life. It was definitely sad to experience such amazingness with an almost 9 month pregnant tummy. I hardly had room to eat all that good stuff. Courtney kept talking about how awfully full she was and how much her stomach hurt (in a good kind of way). I did my best to not laugh and roll my eyes. Try doing that looking like this!!!



First Valentine's Day with a baby (2011):

We didn't make it to dinner and instead ordered Domino's. But that's what you do when you have an 11 month old and are 4 months pregnant with #2. The big surprise was Matt walking through the door with these little gems. Love Teavana! We didn't even manage to take a picture of the 3 of us so this will have to do.



Valentine's Day 2012:

Matt surprised me this year with an incredible gift that also will be counted as my birthday present (not till May). We've looked at different cameras online together and having a growing family and a blog to keep updated I've wanted something better than my little point-and-shoot. So a week before V-day...because he said I'd need it for the actual day...the girls and I hopped on the couch with this pretty little blue box. I wondered if a camera was what it was only because I haven't seen Matt get that excited about a gift in a long time. Needless to say, this year I have a few more pictures than before.











Sweet tulips from my Valentine!


Our quiet dinner at home with the four of us. The menu: Chili Mountains, ocra and Sangrias. Nothing fancy or over the top amazing but it suited us just fine.




What a blessed girl I am to think back to these 7 Valentine's we've shared and see year after year how God has woven our hearts together. I can honestly say that I love Matt Mehringer more than I ever dreamed I would on that rainy night back in February 2006. 

Excited to see what the next 7 hold for us, my beloved! Thank you for loving me faithfully and sacrificially! All my love is yours.

2 comments:

  1. I remember each and every date as if it was yesterday! And now the love between you has multiplied so beautifully! Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the cutest post ever! What a sweet lovey you have! And the camera, what a fun gift and such a blessing! You will love capturing special moments with it! I love all the car renting too! hehe!

    ReplyDelete