Thursday, February 10, 2011

Get-a-way weekend!

Matt and I are still floating from a wonderful anniversary weekend away. I didn't realize until after we got home, just how much we and our marriage needed the time spent apart from our girl. We went a little farther from home than I was at first comfortable with but since Reese did such a great job with her Marmee and Papa, it put me at ease.

Matt took Friday off so that we could have a noon departure and enjoy most of the day together. This is the beauty we drove up to in Anaheim (Disneyland area for all you out of state friends).


We literally felt like newlyweds checking into this place and realizing that we didn't have a diaper bag attached to our shoulder, weren't lugging the pack-n-play up the elevator and there were no limits because of a nap and feeding schedule. It felt so strange to drop our bags in our room, head right to the lobby, pick up food from Starbucks for this prego mama and then to wait for the shuttle to Disneyland. It was pure bliss just to sit on the bench and whisper in each other's ears like we were head over heels high schoolers. Having a child made me appreciate this time more than I ever did during our many get-a-way weekends as just the two of us.




Such a cool store! We walked all through Downtown Disney and Matt being the Lego lover that he is, had to stop in. I didn't realize how much more besides boxed sets of Legos was in this place. The Lego Woody and Giraffe were so amazing!
Because this trip was to celebrate our 4th Anniversary we splurged a bit and went out to eat at Bubba Gump Shrimp. I love this place. The food is incredible, the staff were so friendly and helpful and our time and conversations were without distraction.




Ha! Matt had me pose for this one b/c I was looking through the amazing drinks and found the one I would have ordered that night had I not been pregnant. Oh well...just another reason to one day go away again. 
Once dinner was finished we headed to Cheesecake Factory to have dessert. I made sure to leave room...even though my shrimp was to die for. We split the Chocolate Tower Truffle Cake. I forgot to take a picture of this incredible masterpiece so here's one I found on Google. It just doesn't do it justice. I slept terribly that night (what a bummer...my one chance to sleep without interruption) because of all the caffeine that must be in this thing. But literally I'm drooling just thinking about how good it was.


Beyond all the amazing things we did and food we ate, it was just great to sit and talk, pray, talk about this next year coming up, the changes that we will go through again and reminding ourselves or where our strength and help come from! "My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:2 Through our time away we decided to start reading Wayne Mack's "Strengthening Your Marriage." We've been enjoying that the past couple of Wednesday evenings and are excited to see what God will be doing in our lives and marriage through that study.

And lastly...what would a blog post be without pictures of Reese? She had a great time playing hard with her Marmee and Papa...even slept the whole night for them! Made this mama extra thankful and proud! (Pictures courtesy of Marmee)




Thank you again, Ray and Missy for watching Reese for us. We had a wonderful time getting away and that was all because of your kindness to us!


6 comments:

  1. Love this! :) The drink picture cracks me up because now that I am pregnant they look yummier than ever too. I'm sure once she is born I will care less again! haha. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT....always enjoy your posts and perspectives, sweet sister! Glad you & Matt had a relaxing weekend away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was such a joy- knowing you 2 had time together. Next time...2 nights!!- Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww~ I love this post for so many reasons! I also loved seeing the BIG Lego creations~ just wait til your kiddos can play with them! YAY~ for taking a break to invest in your sweet marriage~ it's essential! Thanks for sharing your refreshing weekend together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like so much fun! I'm hungry now for shrimp and cheesecake though...glad you had time away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so fun ash! glad you got to get away with your love. it's true that having kids makes those times SO special.

    ReplyDelete